[Mailman-Users] New install: Uncaught runner exception: nothing to repeat

Dwight Tovey dwight at dtovey.net
Sat Oct 22 15:14:13 CEST 2005

Hello all.

I'm trying to install Mailman 2.1.6 on a Linux system and get it running
with an existing Qmail.  For the most part I thought everything went
smoothly, but now I've run into a snag.

listname' and the list administrator notification goes out.  I create the
.qmail-listname* aliases and go to the web interface to set the list
configuration.  For this list I'm setting it so that new subscribers have
to confirm and be approved by the administrator.

Next I go in to the list info page and sign up.  The confirmation message
succesfully goes out.  I then confirm the subscription (either by clicking
on the supplied link or sending back a reply) and from the logs I can see
that Mailman tries to send out a notification to the list admin.  However,
that message never gets out.  In the Mailman error log, I see the
following:

===============================8<-----------------------------------------
Oct 21 22:04:30 2005 (22115) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 130, in
_dispose
    more = self._dopipeline(mlist, msg, msgdata, pipeline)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
_dopipeline
    sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamDetect.py", line 98, in
process
    cre = re.compile(regex, re.IGNORECASE)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/sre.py", line 179, in compile
    return _compile(pattern, flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/sre.py", line 229, in _compile
    raise error, v # invalid expression
error: nothing to repeat

Oct 21 22:04:30 2005 (22115) SHUNTING:
1129867468.9166019+626355503683f18064d71e00212f9824c933a999
===============================8<-----------------------------------------

I know nothing about Python, so I'm not completely sure what's going on
here, but it looks like a bad regular expression somewhere.  I wouldn't be
too surprised if I have something completely wrong in the configuration,
but I have no idea where to look.

Does anybody have any pointers?

Thanks

    /dwight