[Mailman-Users] add_members and email confirmation

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 20:41:15 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:23 -0400, Ren Bucholz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a signup sheet that subscribes people to a Mailman list by using
> PHP to call add_members (the PHP is below, FYI).  My problem is that
> add_members seems to ignore the email confirmation settings from the
> admin interface.  Even though my list is configured to send a
> confirmation message, subscribers only get the "Thanks for signing up!"
> email.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to use add_members in a confirmed-opt-in
> list?  Thanks very much!

Not is its current manifestation. The reason is that manual adding of
members assumes this is an approved action. You have two choices:

1) redirect them to the signup page for the list (this has the advantage
of allowing the user to set some preferences and see some basic info).

2) Copy the add_members script to a new name and edit it so that it
calls AddMember instead of AddApprovedMember. See
Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py for an example of how to do this and the
various exceptions you'll have to catch and handle.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>