[Mailman-Users] hide lists from listinfo page only(leaveonadmin page)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Oct 20 16:36:29 CEST 2005

Xiaoyan Ma wrote:

>Since I need to store a few hundreds listnames in the file, I wonder if it might be better
>to use regular expressions.  Five to six regular expressions should be sufficient to match all the
>list names I want to hide.

Between the two, I'd say whatever is easier for you to maintain is best
- maybe the regexps if they are constant.

>Another option (if it is doable) is to use Mailman's supported advertise feature to hide these
>  lists from both listinfo and admin page. I will subsequently bring up a third page, either a
>"sub-admin" page showing only those hidden course lists, or a "supper admin" page displaying
>all lists.  The goal is that future upgrades won't entail re-customizing the previously customized
>package files.  But I am afraid this may turn out to be so complicated as to involve security
>wrapper and other matters.

I think this may be the best way. It is non-trivial but doable. You
need to make the appropriate mods to the Mailman/Cgi/admin.py script
and store the modified script as, say, Mailman/Cgi/sub-admin.py. Then
you also need to make another wrapper, sub-admin, in the cgi-bin/
directory. See src/Makefile  (created by ./configure) or
src/Makefile.in in the distribution hierarchy for info on compiling
the wrappers.

Once you've created the script and the wrapper, you will be OK in an
upgrade as long as you don't change any options to ./configure. If
things are moved or --with-cgi-gid= changes, you'll have to rebuild
the sub-admin wrapper.