[Mailman-Users] No address associated with nodename

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Oct 18 21:13:39 CEST 2005

Oops, forgot to anwer the second part.

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Andrew Hedges wrote:

> Context: I'm BRAND new to configuring mail servers, so go easy!  ;^)  I'm
> running Mailman 2.1.6 on a Mac G4 running OS X 10.4.2 using the default
> Postfix and Python installations (versions 2.1.5 and 2.3.5, respectively).

> PS:  As an aside, is it typical for it to take nearly 3 seconds for Mailman
> to process one, puny message to a list with one, puny recipient?  What's the
> gate on performance?  Disk speed?  CPU?  Network connection?

It depends, as always. I think the delay may be related to the DNS error.
Whatever time you do see will break down to a "large" per message overhead
with a "small" per recipient time - in other words, just because to send
to one recipient takes X seconds does not mean 100 reipients will take
100X seconds.

> Our lists
> won't be large (the largest is around 200 members), but we will have about
> 40 of them.  Will this overload my little Mac?

How much traffic?

You should be fine. I'm running mailman on a "half-dome" iMac - two major
lists - one has about 50 members and gets 100 or so small (under 5k)
messages per day and the other has about 150 members and 1 100k message
per day. DSL at 384kbps upstream. I don't notice the effect of either list
on computer performance. I would notice the second on DSL bandwidth if I
were up at 2am when that message gets sent - it ties up the connection for
about five minutes (I VERP all messages so to send to those 150 members
means 150 seperate messages going up the DSL line).

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com