[Mailman-Users] including other fields in Mailman membership info

Jon Dugan dugan at biocontact.org
Thu Oct 13 04:21:02 CEST 2005

Hi All --

I am brand new to using mailman.  I'm trying to set it up for an
existing list from Yahoo Groups with about 3k subscribers.

Currently I have two separate databases.  One has the names and emails
(from Yahoo groups) and the other in postgres has first/last
name,email, company, title, phone, etc.

Is there a way to get mailman to have more than just the name and
email fields?  While I recognize this would complicate things -- I'd
really like to leverage the great interface, password mailing,
confirmation -- etc. all in a broader membership database.

I'm considering writing in-between cgi wrappers that take online form
submissions and parse the other data into a postgres database -- but
it would be great if there were an easy way to add it into Mailman.

Separate from the above, is there a way to make a call within "Full
Personalization" to extract a custom piece of data to place into an
email?

For example, if I do have to store the comapny name for each member in
an external database, is there a way to get it into each email when
sending?

Regards,
Jon

Jonathan M. Dugan, Ph.D.

Bio-X Research Development and Corporate Relations
Stanford University
Clark Center, 318 Campus Drive, Room S135
Stanford, CA 94305-5446

Tel:  (650) 725-1523
Cell: (650) 799-5369
Fax:  (650) 725-0400