[Mailman-Users] Debian Mailman Setup Question

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 16:21:46 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 04:18 -0400, Michel Vaillancourt wrote:
> 	Hello to the list.  I am setting up my second mailman box;  this one is a
> Debian 'Etch' installation.  It is a Postfix MTA, with two domains that I
> wish to host lists for on the one box.  I am attempting to use the
> '/var/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py' file as a Postfix transport
> engine, per the instructions.  However, for some reason, I can't get Postfix
> to accept mail for my testing list; it returns:
>
> 550 <wolfstar-test at ext2.wolfstar.ca>: Recipient address rejected: User
> unknown in local recipient table
>
> 	I am presuming that there is a step that I have missed in the set-up, but I
> can't for the life of me figure out what it is.  Can someone who has gotten
> this working give me a shout and let me know what the "gotcha" is?  Many
> thanks in advance.

This has nothing to do with mailman, it is a postfix configuration
issue. Postfix can be configured to reject mail if the receipient is not
local. You have this configuration setting in effect. I suspect your
problem is that you don't include $alias_maps in the
local_recipient_maps parameter in postfix's main.cf. This is very
clearly documented in the comments in main.cf and the
LOCAL_RECIPIENTS_README file that is part of the postfix distribution
and available on www.postfix.org. You need the alias_maps because that
is where you've defined mailman's email addresses.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>