[Mailman-Users] spam proof announcement style list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Oct 9 16:45:56 CEST 2005

Stephanie Westbrook wrote:

>Well, I tried using the Approved line method. But there were several
>problems.
>
>First, my mail client is pegasus 4.12a ono Win xp pro sp2. Mailman
>is 2.1.6.
>
>Problem 1 is major. On my mailing list for the time being I have
>several of my own email addresses. They are setup as separate
>users (not separate identities) in pegasus. In some, but not all, I see
>the approved line with password, ie it was not removed from the
>message.

The approved: line is only processed/removed from the first text/plain
part. You are probably posting multipart/alternative and seeing the
approved: line in a text/html part. You probably are not posting
straight HTML or the approved: line wouldn't work at all.

You either need to set your mail client to send plain text only or you
need to turn on content filtering and strip the html part from posts.

>Problem 2 is less grave but still a problem. The message now
>arrives with a text attachment which is the footer for the mailing list.
>So you no longer see it as part of the message, but as a separate
>attachment. And since it contains info such as how to change list
>options, I'd rather have it there in plain sight.

This too is because your post is other than simple plain text. If you
post a simple, unencoded text/plain message in the character set of
the list, the footer will not be a separate part.

I don't know why this would be affected by whether or not you include
an approved: line in your post.

Note that many mail clients will show this 'attached' footer inline
anyway.

See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp