[Mailman-Users] encoding problem (french)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Oct 4 02:26:02 CEST 2005

Tara Star wrote:

>On Oct 2, 2005, at 23:18, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>

>> The difference here is the stuff with html escapes comes from the
>> templates/fr/listinfo.html template and the other comes from
>> translated messages in messages/fr/LC_MESSAGES/
>
>I've taken the mailman.po file in that directory and converted it
>(with iconv) to utf-8. Now all that needs to be done is compile it
>into a .mo and I should be able to have a utf-8 french interface.

I don't know if there will be an issue here or not. I don't think so
because the English messages should all be in 7-bit ascii, but you
must not change the English text because it is the key to look up the
French translation.

>Only problem is the .po will not compile. Of course, I tried
>compiling the original .po just to make sure I hadn't messed things
>up with iconv, and it doesn't compile either :-(

Are you compiling with Mailman's bin/msgfmt.py or some other msgfmt
implementation. This may be the problem. The original file should
compile OK with bin/msgfmt.py.