[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.[56] installation problem w/ KoreanCodecs

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon Nov 28 05:14:36 CET 2005

Christophe Kalt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> "make install" dies with
>     (cd ./$p ; umask 02 ; PYTHONPATH=/home/mailman/2.1.5/pythonlib /usr/local/bin/python setup.py --quiet install --install-lib /home/mailman/2.1.5/pythonlib  --install-purelib /home/mailman/2.1.5/pythonlib  --install-data /home/mailman/2.1.5/pythonlib); \
> done
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/distutils/dist.py:222: UserWarning: 'licence' distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
>   warnings.warn(msg)
> src/hangul.c:33: error: syntax error before numeric constant
> src/hangul.c:34: error: syntax error before numeric constant
> *** Error code 1
>
> This happens with either 2.1.5 or 2.1.6, various versions of
> Python as well.  It's on Solaris 10 with Sun's bundled gcc
> (/usr/sfw/bin/gcc).
>
> Rather furstrating.  Is there an easy way to just skip these
> codecs i have no use for?

You are using python2.4 which should support Chinese/Korean/Japanese
codecs by itself. So, you need not, in principle, install
Korean/Japanese codecs which are included in mailman distribution.
You may want to try my language select patch in the SF tracker:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1298355&group_id=103&atid=300103

Or, you can go to the <mailman_source>/misc directory and find [Kk]orean
notation in Makefile and paths.py and comment them out, then do the make
install again.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/