[Mailman-Users] Confirm Subscription by reply email fails -continued

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 26 17:27:48 CET 2005

MailingList wrote:

>When I hit the reply to email the To: was list-name-request at hostnet.com.au
>

>The subject line of this email contained
>
>"RE: confirm 136a4fcd4da5fc8b4ba96f937bf0abf70510332c"
>
>I the received an email addressed to
>
>presbyterian-info-nsw-request at hostnet.com.au
>
>This was obviously the email I had just sent via the reply.
>

>It may be that I misunderstand the way in which this list functions. I
>though that the validation was automatically processed by Mailnam. However,
>it seems that I (the owner of the list) have to manually process the
>confirmation of subscription when I (the list owner) receive the reply from
>the individual wishing to join the list.

I'm not too clear on what's happening, but it seems you're saying that
the user replied to the confirmation email, but then the owner had to
approve the subscription. See below:

>Question: Is it meant to be an automatic validation/confirmation? Or, am I
>(the list owner) always going to have to manually confirm the subscriber
>after receiving the list confirm email after subscription has been
>requested?

This is a list configuration option. it is controlled by Privacy
options...->Subscription rules->subscribe_policy. See the "Details for
subscribe_policy" for more info.

Also, it is not usually recommended, but you can set

ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

in mm_cfg.py and then have the option of allowing subscription without
any confirmation or approval for a list. See the "# SUBSCRIBE POLICY"
section in Defaults.py for more info, and if you want to change any
default settings, override them in mm_cfg.py.