[Mailman-Users] Hmmm

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 26 06:07:46 CET 2005

Doug Hall wrote:

>What does this mean?
>

>[root at futurenameservers mailman]# service mailman start
>
>Starting mailman: Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 606, in ?
>
>    main()
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 425, in main
>
>    check_for_site_list()
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/mailmanctl", line 325, in check_for_site_list
>
>    sitelist = MailList(sitelistname, lock=0)
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
>
>    self.Load()
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 593, in Load
>
>    dict, e = self.__load(file)
>
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 566, in __load
>
>    dict = loadfunc(fp)
>
>umbrella_listqbI00dule named n.co.ukq_aban_listq`]qaU
>
>                                                           [FAILED]

I think it means the configuration files for the site list (normally
named mailman) are corrupt.

There may be messages in Mailman's 'error' log indicating what files
were tried.

Normally (if the list is named mailman) there will be a
lists/mailman/config.pck and a lists/mailman/config.pck.last and these
will be tried in that order. There may be old (pre 2.1alpha3)
config.db and config.db/last files if the list is that old. I'm
guessing the config.pck is corrupt and caused the error and others
weren't tried.