[Mailman-Users] Uhhuh, my GID blues goes on... :(

Niemi Hannu Hannu.Niemi at kuntaliitto.fi
Thu Nov 24 10:55:24 CET 2005

Hello people

I am starting to feel really embarrassed and humiliated by the very
Mailman.

I wrote a few weeks ago about the same problem, which then could be
solved by changing the owner group of the mailman/lists/linstname/* to
the very mailman.

But, now I needed to create a new list (and it eneded up in adding a few
lists to find out what is wrong) and now it seems really strange.

Running on SuSE 9.3

I have two sets of the lists:

1) Lists that operate all right, when /etc/mailman/mailman.mail-gid is
65533(nobody> ("vintage lists")
2) Lists that operate all right, when /etc/mailman/mailman.mail-gid is
67 (mailman) (newly created lists)

The functionality is 100% repeatable all the lists in 1) function all
right eith 65533 and fail with 67 and all the lists in 2) function all
right with gid 67 and fail with 65533 with (now infamous error message):

----------- clipeti clip -----------------

This is the Postfix program at host listserv.kuntaliitto.fi.

   The Postfix program

<Hn11240914-l at listserv.kuntaliitto.fi>: Command died with status 2:
    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post hn11240914-l". Command output:
    Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 65533, GOT gid 67.

----------- clipeti clip -----------------

Now, all the permissions and owners (as well as groups) are exactly the
same for both sets of the lists in /var/lib/mailman/lists.

/bin/check_perms gives no warnings

Is there some other list-specific files somewhere else in the file
system?
If the group information for any other list-specific file is wrong, this
would make sense, but as now, I don't understand what CAN make the
difference between lists in those two hostile groups that just won't
play together ;)

Any hints or suggestions?

best regards

hannu niemi