[Mailman-Users] Changing Owner of Mailman installation

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 23 06:12:02 CET 2005

Kory Wheatley wrote:

>   Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:57:19 -0700
>     To: mailman-developers <mailman-users at python.org>

Did you mean to send this to mailman-users or mailman-developers?

>I installed Mailman as the account owner "pwmail", (and the group is
>Mailman),  and Mailman has ran fine under this user for about 5 years.
>I now would like to change the owner to a different User account called
>"mailmgmt", if I did a find (find /home/mailman -user pwmail -exec chown
>mailmgmt {} \;   and  find /home/mailman -group pwmail -exec chgrp
>mailmgmt) after shutting down Mailman, would this cause a problem after
>starting Mailman back up?  I would also make sure that the "mailman"
>group is defined under the group "mailmgmt".  I didn't know if Mailman
>is binded to the UID of the owner when it's installed.  Anything that is
>owned by the Mailman user and Mailman group I would leave alone.

What if anything did you originally specify to configure as
--with-username and --with-groupname? These will probably be reflected
in Defaults.py as

MAILMAN_USER =
and
MAILMAN_GROUP =

At the very least, these may need overriding in mm_cfg.py.

It might be safer to run

make clean
configure       (with appropriate values for --with-username
                 and --with-groupname)
make install

but if MAILMAN_USER and MAILMAN_GROUP are both already 'mailman', this
wouldn't be necessary.