[Mailman-Users] Bounce message confusion

Robin Rowe rower at movieeditor.com
Sat Nov 19 07:04:15 CET 2005

Mark,

 > I know you
> can't see the logs (maybe you can convince the ISP to look), but what
> do the notices say?

I got 11 messages like this today. All timestamped 7:00 AM:

  From: mailman-bounces at movieeditor.com
  Date: 7:00 AM
  To: ScreenplayLab-owner at movieeditor.com

  <email addrees> has been removed from ScreenplayLab.

where "email address" is a subscriber's address, mostly from yahoo,
hotmail, or aol.

> The MTA should be returning a status code with the refusal. If it's a
> 500 series code other than 552. it will be treated as a bounce. If it
> is 552 or a 400 series code, Mailman will retry delivery later.

Thanks, will look for those the next time I send out a post. There's no
diagnostic # in the unsubscribe messages. I don't have any earlier
messages because I unknowingly had it pointed to an invalid email address.

> No. You can't do this. The recipient list is in a 'hash table' order
> which is subsequently grouped into bins by top level domain. bin 1
> contains all .com, bin 2 - all .net and .org, bin 3 - all .edu, .us
> and .ca, and bin 0 - all the rest. These bins are also processed in a
> hashed order, so you can't make an arbitrary address be at the end.

Both the bins and their contents are processed in hash order?
Why wouldn't the bins be processed sequentially?

Thank you,

Robin