[Mailman-Users] Mailman stopped delivering mail

Eric Evans eje4 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 15 17:46:20 CET 2005

Hello,

I have a perplexing problem and I was hoping someone might be able to give
me some advice.  I've been running Mailman for several months with no
problems, and a few days ago Mailman stopped delivering mail for no
apparent reason.  In Mailman's smtp log file I see messages that say "all
recipients refused: host/servname not known."  This would seem to imply
that there is some kind of DNS hostname resolution problem, but none of the
other applications running on this server have a problem with hostname
resolution.

I've checked all the standard Mailman configuration details that are
mentioned in the FAQ, i.e. I've made sure that cron is running, that the
aliases are set up properly, that the mm_cfg.py has the SMTPHOST defined
properly, that qrunner is running, that there are no errant lock files
present, and that there are no malformed email messages clogging up the queue.

We're running Mailman 2.1.2 on Solaris 8, with sendmail as the
MTA.  Mailman was compiled from the source.  We have not upgraded Mailman
recently or changed its configuration in any way.

I've reached a standstill in my troubleshooting efforts, so if anyone has
any suggestions for how I could proceed further, I'd appreciate hearing
them.  Thank you very much.

Eric