[Mailman-Users] post a message to list, but no response

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 8 22:12:04 CET 2005

Andy Gao wrote:

>I am new to mailman. I installed mailman2.1.6 on my fedora core 3 machine
>from source. I used sendmail8.13.1-2 as MTA.
>
>I set up a new list, say list at example.com, and I can subscribe to the list
>and I also get the mail from list at example.com to confirm my subscrision.

Do you subscribe via email or web?

>But when I submit a message to list at example.com, I don't get the email
>response and there is no archive message.
>
>(BTW, I skipped mm-handler for mailman sendmail integration, and manually
>add the list to /etc/aliases then run newaliases. Will that be a problem?

Not if you do it right. See below.

>And also I am confused with the "DEFAULT_URL_HOST" and "DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST"
>in the mmcfg.py configuration. I set them to example.com<http://example.com>.
>Is that correct?)

I think so. I think you are saying you want to send email to
list at example.com and visit the web interfaces at
http://example.com/mailman/, and that you put

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'example.com'

and

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'

in mm_cfg.py. This is correct, but if these are not the values in
Defaults.py, you need

following the new assignments in mm_cfg.py, and you probably want to
first clear the Defaults.py entry with

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

so that in mm_cfg.py, you have:

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'example.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.com'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

in that order.

This is not the reason for your current problem.

>I followed the instruction on
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp,
>and everything seems to be working well.
>
>except
>1. there is error msg in smtp-error: "Nov 08 13:02:03 2005 (14693) SMTP
>session failure: 554, 5.3.5 buildaddr: unknown mailer mailman,..."

This is a sendmail log, right? It indicates a sendmail configuration or
aliases problem. What do your aliases look like? Is the path to the
mailman wrapper correct?

I assume you are subscribing via the web, since whatever this issue is,
it would probably affect email subscribes as well as posts.