[Mailman-Users] SPAM Control

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 8 18:11:10 CET 2005

Chris Barnes wrote:

>I guess what I am asking is for a way to be MM to process a
>.procmailrc - specific to each list - before distributing to the list.

I think header_filter_rules is lacking one thing that would allow your
simply dropping your procmail recipes directly in, and that is the
fact that if you list multiple re's in a rule, they are always OR'd,
not ANDed.

I have no experience with the first part of this, but it may be
possible to use your list aliases to invoke procmail instead of
mailman and then have the procmail recipes either delete the mail or
deliver it to the appropriate wrapper command. I do have experience
with delivering from procmail to mailman in a different context, and
that works well.

The specifics in my case are that all mail to a particular virtual
domain is delivered to procmail which has recipes for delivering to
various 'generic' addresses in the domain and recipes like

EnvelopeTo = $1

# LISTNAME mailman list....
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman post LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-admin$
|sudo -u mailman /var/mailman/mail/mailman admin LISTNAME

Depending on how this is set up, you may or may not need sudo and an
appropriate entry in /etc/sudoers.

Having Mailman actually invoke procmail after receiving the mail to
implement spam filtering might be doable too, although it would be
better to do it as above if possible, i.e., before the mail gets to
mailman. You could try implementing a new handler and putting it first
in the pipeline (you test with a test list with it's own pipeline
attribute and after you're satisfied, but it in GLOBAL_PIPELINE and
OWNER_PIPELINE). The handler could invoke procmail to apply the
recipes in a .procmailrc.

Another drawback to both this added handler and header_filter_rules, is
they are only applied to posts and messages to -owner and not to
messages to -bounces, etc. Thus, it is best if you can arrange to not
deliver the spam to Mailman in the first place.