[Mailman-Users] Fwd: Re: Fwd:Bounce action notification

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 5 03:51:37 CET 2005

Jared Rimer wrote:

>Hi all,
>         Here's  a message from my provider.  Any other ideass?

I have added some comments if you want to pursue this further.

>>I'm not sure I can give you any more information than what was
>>contained in that thread.
>>
>>Basically, it sounds like one of the list members has their email
>>address configured to only allow mail from people in their address
>>book.  This sounds like some sort of 0spam or box trapper.  So, since
>>that person apparently does not have the list address in their address
>>book or white list, the mail from the list bounces.  However, it's not
>>a standard bounce message which can be recognized by Mailman, so
>>Mailman tries to notify the list owner.

Yes, but unrecognized bounces do happen from time to time for other
reasons such as full mailboxes and so forth. Mailman isn't perfect at
recognizing and parsing all bounce messages.

>>As in that response, I don't understand exactly why this notification
>>isn't successful, but something causes that not to be delivered to the
>>yahoo address, generating a bounce response for that address which
>>then gets treated like a member, because it is, and gets disabled.
>>
>>I think there are 2 things that can be done:  First, the person using
>>the box trapper can be removed from the list until they get their act
>>together.  Second, you can turn off notification of unrecognized
>>bounce messages.

Item 2 would avoid the issue for unrecognized bounces, but it would be
better to find and fix the underlying problem if we can.

>>It wasn't clear to me why the notification of the unrecognized bounce
>>report wasn't delivered successfully, but if the experts on the
>>Mailman list couldn't tell you, I'm sure I wouldn't have a clue.  If
>>you want to follow through on this further, you need to ask them why
>>Mailman would treat a list owner's rejection as a member's rejection
>>notice.

The bouncing address is the listname-owner address which appears to get
mapped by the bounce processor into an actual address from the list's
owner attribute.

We can't say exactly why the message was not accepted by Exim but there
should be messages in both the Exim logs and in Mailman's smtp-failure
log that can shed light on this. We'd like to see those messages.

>>Out of curiosity, is there any sort of box trapper running on the
>>wooklake_el_school at yahoo.com address?  Therein might lie the problem
>>if that address is not accepting mail from the host
>>idea5.anoeticconcepts.com since Mailman apparently uses the host name
>>rather than the "preferred domain" for some of its delivery
>>notifications.

I don't think this is the reason, because I thing the message is not
accepted from Mailman by Exim. If the above were the reason, I think
the bounce would occur later on Exim's attempt to deliver to Yahoo.