[Mailman-Users] Name or service not known

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Nov 5 02:34:05 CET 2005

Ole Markus With wrote:

>I tried to set up mailman with postfix but I can't seem to get mailman to
>send out mail. Postfix sends mail just fine, but when I for example make a
>new list, I get this error in the smtp-failure log:
>
>Nov 05 01:19:45 2005 (17939) delivery to with at yagr.com failed with code
>-1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
>

>I did a search for this both on google and on this list, but nothing seem
>to be the same problem as mine.

That's odd. This google search
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org+inurl%3Amailman-users+%22name+or+service%22>
gets 51 hits, and I'm sure most are relevant.

Searching the FAQ wizard
for the simple string

   name or service

finds article 6.14 which is also relevant.

The problem is Python's smtplib can't find your host name or the IP
address for your hostname because it isn't in /etc/hosts or maybe
because of a resolve.conf problem as described in the FAQ.