[Mailman-Users] Subscribing someone from a CGI script

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Nov 3 15:53:27 CET 2005

At 9:29 AM -0500 2005-11-03, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

>  On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
>>  	The command-line tools are the API.  If you can't use them
>>  because your web server is trying to run them under the wrong group
>>  id, I don't know that there's anything else we can do for you.
>
>  As a site admin I see a slight problem with the command line tools,
>  in that they don't seem to accept a list password. I have to make some sort
>  of wrapper for them so that a list owner can only access their own list.

	The command-line tools are definitely intended to be used by the
site admin.  There is no provision for list admins to use them,
especially since you may need to be running as root or other
privileged userid in order to do certain things.

	Unfortunately, that's the way Mailman works today.

	If you'd like to see this get fixed, please file an RFE on the
Mailman RFE page at SourceForge.  Better still, come up with a patch
(or have someone else come up with a patch) and upload that to the
Mailman patch page at SourceForge, which would be much more likely to
be incorporated into the code base in the near future.

	There's an infinite array of things that we'd like to see get
fixed in future versions of Mailman, and a very finite amount of time
available to do those things.  As an open source project, we cannot
do everything alone and are dependant on the other people in the
community to help contribute improvements to the system.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755