[Mailman-Users] Mailman with Exim4: owner cannot post

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Nov 2 05:58:44 CET 2005

Oliver König wrote:

>I installed configured Mailman v2.1.5 with Exim4 v4.50 on a remote server
>www.windfinder.com (see http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html).
>
>I created a mailing list called 'testlist' and tried to post to the list by
>sending a message to testlist at windfinder.com from the list owner's e_mail
>account on my local mail client.
>

>I I send to testlist at server.windfinder.com get this reply:
>This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
>A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
>  testlist at server.windfinder.com
>    remote host address is the local host: retry timeout exceeded
>---

Normally, I would say the problem is in the Exim configuration. Have
you configured the 'main configuration', 'router' and 'transport' in
Exim for mailman as described in
http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html#exconf et seq or
http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node16.html?

In this case I am confused by your use of the term "remote server".
Which server mailman is installed on? Is Exim on the same server? If
so, why do you refer to it as remote? Did the message above originate
from the server hosting Mailman or elsewhere?

It is not an mm_cfg.py issue at all as the mail has never reached
Mailman.

Either Exim on the server with Mailman is not properly configured to
deliver to Mailman, or mail never reaches that Exim although that
doesn't appear to be the case as windfinder.com, www.windfinder.com
and server.windfinder.com all resolve to the same IP address.