[Mailman-Users] Mailman just doesn"t send the messages... :-(

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun May 29 18:36:57 CEST 2005

Laurent Lesage wrote:

>Mark Sapiro a écrit :
>
>>Mailman is unable to establish an SMTP (or any) connection to port 25
>>on localhost. This is due to a system configuration problem outside of
>>Mailman. You'll probably see a similar error if you try
>>
>>telnet localhost 25
>>

>That works fine for me. I had a look on the link you suggest below but
>my resolv.conf is already configured as suggested, and this does not
>resolve the problem. I can add some details:
>my server is behind a firewall (modem router), I use DynDNS. So, the IP
>address of my smtp server is local. But I have no problem with all the
>other services : my /etc/hosts is used locally. The DNS server is not
>used on my server (my modem is my local DNS server - proxy)
>So the problem remains on the "direct" smtp delivery. Any other idea?
>
>>at a shell prompt.
>>
>>See http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.014.htp
>>for more details.

I'm sure if you try the following interactive python test, you will see
the same error somewhere, either in the smtplib.SMTP() call or the
connect() call.

$ python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, May  7 2004, 10:31:40)
[GCC 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)] on linux2
>>> import smtplib
>>> SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
>>> SMTPPORT = 0
>>> x = smtplib.SMTP()
>>> x.connect(SMTPHOST, SMTPPORT)
(220, 'sb7.example.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.11/8.12.11; Mon, 16 May 2005
18:08:07 -0700')
>>> x.quit()

$

You can see a more complete example that actually sends mail at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044742.html

You may be able to make this work by changing SMTPHOST to an IP address
or some different name. If so, you can make the same assignment in
mm_cfg.py and Mailman should work.

Otherwise, you have to make whatever system configuration changes are
required to make it work. Possibly the errors returned by the python
library may give you more clues.