[Mailman-Users] Mailman just doesn"t send the messages... :-(

Laurent Lesage laurent at lesagepono.be
Sat May 28 19:48:06 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm using Debian Sarge, with postfix and apache. I'v installed mailman
(2.1.5.8) and everything works fine... except that the mails don't go
out! In fact, it seems like mailman doesn't talk to postfix at all. In
my "/var/log/syslog" where postfix logs his tasks, I see that the
messages are received and are "aliased" to mailman. Then, mailman create
the right email adresses but in /var/log/mailman/smtp.failure, I always
get :

May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
not known'), msgid: <mailman.0.1117158947.11238.mailman at lesagepono.be>
May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) delivery to laurent at lesagepono.be failed
with code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

I installed mailman tree times. I first used virtual domains with
postfix. I had the same result (the right email adresses are used by
mailman but it does not send anything to postfix). After that, I used
the other method to integrate postfix/mailman : to let mailman create
automatically (?) the aliases. This worked fine (aliases.db OK), but no
mail out!

I used the gnu install manual, found on the list.org site.

I looked in the archive, found nothing.  (well, i didn't go back to the
20th century...)

The list creation with the web interface works fine, but I do not
receive any mail... I used other email of me to put in test lists, but
always the same problem : the emails are generated by mailman and it
tries to send the messages to the right emails, but the failures are
"looping" indefinitely, example  (/var/log/mailman/post) :

> May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) post to test1 from
> test1-request at lesagepono.be, size=1662,
> message-id=<mailman.0.1117238838.3711.test1 at lesagepono.be>, 1 failures

and the pairing log in smtp.failure (same time) :

> May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or
> service not known'), msgid:
> <mailman.0.1117238838.3711.test1 at lesagepono.be>
> May 28 17:30:10 2005 (2104) delivery to lesage at refer.sn failed with
> code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

(lesage at refer.sn is the only member of the "test1" list, so this part
works well).

those messages were sent 2 days ago.... they are looping hundred of times

(you will excuse, as usually my sometimes strange English)

Any help welcome.....

Laurent