[Mailman-Users] txt file and txt.gz file

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed May 25 12:40:13 CEST 2005

At 11:35 AM +0200 2005-05-25, Jean-Philippe GIOLA wrote:

>  concretely, what is the serve of the  txt files in the archives
>  considering there are the files mbox?

	The txt files are the scrubbed text version of the public
archives of the list.  By "scrubbed", I mean that all extraneous
headers are removed, the e-mail addresses may be sanitized, the list
headers and footers are added, etc....

	The mbox files are the unscrubbed original text versions of the
messages as they came in, and would be needed if you wanted to
rebuild the archives.  Trying to rebuild the archives from the
scrubbed text versions would be painful and difficult, and would lose
a lot of information you might want to keep internally.  If you ever
want to have the ability to rebuild your archives, you need to keep
the original mbox files around.

>  And what is the serve of the  txt.gz files ?

	They are compressed versions of the scrubbed text archives.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755