[Mailman-Users] check_perms -f leads to cgi error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue May 24 23:58:36 CEST 2005

Rob Scott wrote:

>I'm fairly certain this problem was caused by my running check_perms -f when
>troubleshooting another issue, since resolved, but right after fixing that when attempting to access the web interface I got a 403 for everything. admin,
>listinfo, etc.

What was in your web server error log when you were getting the 403's?

>I went to a backup of the site and copied the permissions for
>the cgi_bin and public_html (which contains symlinks to the actual cgi
>scripts.) Now apache is tossing a 500 (internal server e) and the error log
>reads:
>Premature end of script headers: admin

check_perms wouldn't have done anything in public_html because it
doesn't know about it, and anyway, the permissions on a symlink itself
should be irrelevant. Assuming you have sufficient access to read the
symlink, it's the targets permissions that count.

>I'm almost positive this started when I ran check_perms -f, if has anyone seen
>this kind of error before or has any ideas what could be the cause I'd really appreciate it.

Unless there's something wrong with MAILMAN_USER and/or MAILMAN_GROUP
in Defaults.py/mm_cfg.py (or MAILMAN_UID and/or MAILMAN_GID in
mm_cfg.py if this is a RedHat rpm) I don't know how check_perms -f
would break anything.