[Mailman-Users] bouncing spams

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon May 23 18:25:36 CEST 2005

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

>gets spammed too, and those mails are forwarded to the administrator as
>"unknown bounce messages".
>
>is there a way to apply header-filters that go to the bounce-adress
>(without tweaking my mta) ?

Not without significant Mailman code modification.

This is an interesting question. Some of my list's -bounces addresses
get spammed too. Per an earlier thread, I think this is because the
-bounces address is harvested by spyware on a list members computer.

So I had a thought. If you are willing to pay the price to VERP all
deliveries (VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 in mm_cfg.py), then the address
that gets harvested is the VERP like address. Now assuming the
spammers aren't going to strip the VERP part off, it is the verped
address which is spammed and the bounce is not unrecognized.

Now of course, the member with the spyware appears to be bouncing and
may be disabled. This may or may not be a good thing, but if
VERP_PROBES is enabled (always in 2.1.5, option in 2.1.6), the probe
should reach the member, and the member won't be disabled. Also, the
receipt of a bounce probe could alert the recipient to the possibility
of spyware on his/her computer.