[Mailman-Users] Setting max_message_size for selected list via withlist

Christopher Adams chris.a.adams at state.or.us
Fri May 20 19:21:32 CEST 2005

Mark,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried running it using withlist as you suggested. My
maxmessagesize.py is below:

###maxmessagesize.py
### determines maximum message size allowed to select lists
### useage: withlist -l -r maxmessagesize
def maxmessagesize(m):
#
# open and read the list names file
    f = open('/home/chris/lists.txt')
    l = f.read()
#
# is this list's name in the file
    if l.find(m._internal_name) >= 0:
       m.max_message_size = 500
       m.Save()
       m.Unlock()
    f.close()

The following is the result:

./withlist -l -a -r maxmessagesize
Importing maxmessagesize...
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./withlist", line 275, in ?
     main()
   File "./withlist", line 247, in main
     mod = __import__(module)
   File "./maxmessagesize.py", line 8
     l = f.read()
     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Can you give me some idea what may be wrong. I realize your suggestion was just off the top of your
head. I also don't quite understand the need for the lines:

if l.find(m._internal_name) >= 0:
       m.max_message_size = 500

If I have already written out a file of  lists that I want to affect with withlist, it doesn't seem
like I would need this.

Thanks for any suggestions that you can give me. I am a little slow at picking up Python.

Christopher Adams