[Mailman-Users] mailman.pid

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue May 17 23:46:44 CEST 2005

I did a mondoarchive of my whole server to CDs today, and afterward noticed
these:

1.  On the server I backed up, Mailman was not running after backup.  When I
tried to restart it, I got a message about no mailman.pid and no Mailman
list.  I restored /var/lib/Mailman from a previous backup, and Mailman
started and is running fine.

2.  I also used today's backup CD to "nuke" another machine I have that
makes it a clone of the primary.  On reboot after the restore procedure, I
also got messages about Mailman not running and no pid file.  (As expected,
since it is a clone of the first machine.)

Can you imagine anything about the pid file that would get trashed during a
backup procedure?  I know this is a nonspecific question and maybe should be
asked on the Mondo list, but I don't know much about the mailman.pid file so
thought I'd ask about IT here.

Thanks any thoughts on this!  - John