[Mailman-Users] SOLVED Re: mp3 attachment

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Tue May 17 13:46:36 CEST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>
To: "John Fleming" <john at wa9als.com>; <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] SOLVED Re: mp3 attachment

> John Fleming wrote:
>>
>>Another very weird thing is the the limited headers on the mail that was
>>successfully delivered with the attachment to the list:
>>
>>Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:29:30 -0500
>>
>>Any comments about the Content Type?
>
> The top level Content-Type: multipart/mixed is exactly what it should
> be for a message with any kind of attachment. That's why if you're
> filtering, you need multipart/mixed in mime_pass_types as well as
> audio/mpeg or whatever since the audio/mpeg is a sub part of a
> multipart/mixed part.
>
>>And I'm missing my usual headers from
>>ClamAV and SpamAssassin for this mail only!  Oh well, this is getting a
>>little disjointed (my fault).  I'll report back if and when things clarify
>>little.  - John
>
> Maybe the message came to you via some other route?

I think it has to do with the way SpamAssassin and ClamAV are integrated
with Mailman as handlers.  I think they can't handle the attachment.

This whole thing really bothered me a couple of days ago because it appeared
that after this mp3 attachment was sent, then SA and ClamAV never processed
any further email until they were restarted.  However, this observation is
no longer reproducible (thankfully!), so things are OK.

I still don't know why the attachment passes now, when content filtering has
been OFF all along.

Oh well - CASE CLOSED for now.  Thanks for the discussion.  - John