[Mailman-Users] Outbound smtp email problems: (110, 'Connection timed out')

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon May 16 01:36:41 CEST 2005

At 6:20 PM -0500 2005-05-15, Matt England wrote:

>  May 15 17:58:22 2005 (6656) Low level smtp error: (110, 'Connection timed
>  out'), msgid: <6.1.2.0.2.20050515175456.0421ac40 at pop.bizmail.yahoo.com>
>  May 15 17:58:22 2005 (6656) Low level smtp error: please run connect()
>  first, msgid: <6.1.2.0.2.20050515175456.0421ac40 at pop.bizmail.yahoo.com>
>  May 15 17:58:22 2005 (6656) delivery to mailman-admin at mengland.net failed
>  with code -1: (110, 'Connection timed out')

	Occasional timeouts are not too unusual, if you're on a busy
server.  We see them on the python.org mail system, for example.

>  Outbound email from my /bin/mail command is working ok; I am running a
>  virtual lists domain, however, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

	You could be having some reverse DNS problems on the virtual domain.

>  While I'm hunting down this bug I was wondering if anyone could shed some
>  light on it for me.

	From the small amount of information you've provided, it's hard
to say anything more.  We'd need more detail, especially including
data from the MTA logs to see what it was thinking about those
attempts.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755