[Mailman-Users] enable Mailman commands in subject

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 13 13:07:58 CEST 2005

    Meike> I would like my mailman sever to respond to commands given
    Meike> in the subject line, such as help or subscribe.

The modern practice is to have a separate address,
<mylist-request at myserver.org>, for administrative commands.

Mailman will not be changed to support the alternative interface of
trying to parse commands out of the Subject header or body of messages
sent to the <mylist at myserver.org> address.  It's more convenient for
users if they are used to it already, but it's just not worth the
additional unreliability in delivery and posts parsed as commands.
And once you get used to it, there is little additional effort to use
the <mylist-request at myserver.org> address.