[Mailman-Users] Group mismatch error

John Poltorak jp at warpix.org
Wed May 11 18:12:14 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:08:40AM -0400, John Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 23:45 +0100, John Poltorak wrote:
> > Can someone explain what I need to do when I get this error - I don't want
> > to have to re-run configure.
> >
> > Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
> > wrapper script to be executed as group "mail", but
> > the system's mail server executed the mail script as
> > group "mailnull".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> > script as group "mail", or re-run configure,
> > providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.
> > 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2
>
> As has beem said, you have two choices, either re-configure, re-build,
> or change how your MTA executes child processes (or possibly just how
> your MTA executes)
>
> If this was working before then something must have changed with your
> MTA, but you didn't say which MTA you're using. Some MTA's can be
> configured via their config file to run with specific identities (e.g.
> the postfix mail_owner parameter). Ths is an MTA issue, please consult
> your MTA documentation.

I'm using sendmail but don't know which permissions need changing. I
thought this would have been the file which needed the correct
permissions:-

# ls -al /usr/local/mailman/mail
total 48
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     mailman      4096 Jan 31  2004 .
drwxrwsr-x   20 root     mailman      4096 Mar 19  2003 ..
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     mailman     39385 Jan 31  2004 mailman

If I have mailman running with UID root, I don't understand what the
problem is. Should I just add mailman to the mail group?

I guess this sounds like a FAQ...

--
John