[Mailman-Users] mailman-postfix problem

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue May 10 16:19:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 15:07 +1000, Lie, Jafaruddin wrote:
> Hi gang
>
> Just joined the mailing list *waves to everyone
>
> I have problems getting mailman to run with postfix. Here's the story:
> mailman installation went ok and it ran ok with sendmail. When I
> installed and used system-switch-mail to switch to postfix, the problem
> began.
>
> The setup:
> I am setting mailman to run internally, so we have local mail accounts
> on my fedora box (jafar at fedora.x.x.x) not accessible to the outside
> world, only locally and anyone on the domain x.x.x.
>
> The postfix installation went ok, I can send and receive mails from my
> local accounts just fine. I configured mailman in mm_cfg.py to use
> postfix as the MTA. I followed the instruction on
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman...all/node13.html.
>
> The problem:
> I created one mailing list, with 3 email addresses suscribed to it. One
> is my local mail account (root at fedora.x.x.x which is forwarded to
> jafar at fedora.x.x.x) and two are addresses from x.x.x, lets call it
> jafar at x.x.x and daryl at x.x.x. These are real email addresses, accessible
> from the internet
>
> With sendmail, the mailing list works just fine. All the accounts can
> send and receive emails from the list.
> With postfix, only the local account can. The other two email addresses
> can send to the list, but they will not receive anything from it. The
> error message I get from /var/log/maillog:
>
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/smtpd[4341]: connect from
> localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/smtpd[4341]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]: 550 <jafar at x.x.x>: Recipient address
> rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
> from=<fedoralist-bounces at fedora.x.x.x> to=<jafar at x.x.x> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<fedora.x.x.x>
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/smtpd[4341]: C36F82CC285:
> client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/cleanup[4344]: C36F82CC285:
> message-id=<6E200146FC37A446A805407002A5C6C001A581 at x.x.x>
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/qmgr[3071]: C36F82CC285:
> from=<fedoralist-bounces at fedora.acer.edu.au>, size=2571, nrcpt=1 (queue
> active)
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/smtpd[4341]: disconnect from
> localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/local[4345]: C36F82CC285:
> to=<jafar at fedora.x.x.x>, orig_to=<root at x.x.x>, relay=local, delay=0,
> status=sent (delivered to mailbox)
> May 10 12:11:24 fedora postfix/qmgr[3071]: C36F82CC285: removed
>

> That's when I send from my real email address to the list. Similar
> error, about User unknown in local recipient table.
> The only way I can get it to send is if I add the two email addresses
> into the /etc/aliases file, something like daryl: daryl at x.x.x.
> Considering the list will contain a lot of people, I don't want to be
> [...]

Yes, read this documentation :-)

/usr/share/doc/postfix-*/README_FILES/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README

It looks like what is happening is that the two addresses that are
failing are being interpreted by postfix as being local, which you claim
they are not (I assume because local == fedora.x.x.x and non-local ==
x.x.x).

Postfix by default won't attempt delivery to local users that don't
exist (that would be pretty pointless wouldn't it?).

So how does postfix determine who is local? It matches the domain in the
email address against $mydestination or the IP addresses in
$inet_interfaces or $proxy_interfaces. I suspect one of these is not
properly configured in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>