[Mailman-Users] attempting to post to the FAQ page Mailman FAQ Edit Wizard

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri May 6 18:30:41 CEST 2005

At 9:19 AM -0700 2005-05-06, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

>  For (b), the message will be attempted to all members that aren't marked
>  as 'nomail', and you can reasonably be sure that's happening. What you
>  can't see at the mailman level is whether the sending MTA is able to
>  deliver the message (after getting it from mailman). You really need to
>  be looking at the MTA logs.

	You need to look at the Mailman logs to see which addresses that
Mailman attempted to deliver to, and you need to look at the MTA logs
to see what actually happened to those attempts.  However, you will
probably need privileged site-admin access to the server where the
mailing list is hosted, and you will only be able to look at the logs
at the command-line shell prompt.

	And believe me, it can be really hairy trying to figure out just
exactly what the final disposition of a given message can be, since
your MTA may or may not make clear in the logs as to what is a
success, what is a delay, what is a bounce, whether or not the
queue-ids are the same, etc....  And then there are the messages that
were delivered by your local MTA to the remote MTA, but which were
then bounced by the remote MTA and sent back to your machine.

	With years of mail systems administration experience, you can
usually manage to pull all the puzzle pieces together, but for anyone
else it can be a real nightmare.  Solving this problem is quite a bit
more complex than it would seem on first glance.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755