[exim] Re: [Mailman-Users] Mailman/Exim problem with very slow outgoing mail on one list

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 30 19:22:56 CEST 2005

At 9:50 AM -0600 2005-03-30, Stephanie wrote:

>>  If other sites are using ident, and your firewall drops ident packets,
>>  then you would get a 30 second delay on many outgoing connection
>>  attempts.
>
>  Which would affect all other outgoing mail on my server, right?

	If the problem was reverse DNS or ident, or somesuch, then it
should affect everything on the same server.  Unless you're serving
that data inside of different virtual servers, different instances of
the same software (or different software), etc....

>>  In that case I would be looking very carefully at DNS - if your
>>  externally visible DNS for that domain is odd you may find that many
>>  systems you are sending mail to have a long delay on basic verification
>>  - which will slow down your outgoing speed.
>
>  Yes, that's my thought now too since it's affecting both lists hosted
>  on the same domain and nothing else.  I'm going to look at that
>  domain's DNS tonight (have to go to $DayJob now) and see if there's
>  anything wrong there that may be causing this.

	It's starting to look more like a DNS problem that is specific to
that domain, but not necessarily across the entire machine.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755