[Mailman-Users] Transfering mailman lists between servers

James B. Byrne ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Wed Mar 30 00:13:19 CEST 2005

Ok.  I fixed the errors.  The 403 Forbidden was caused by restoring
logical links dependent upon a different directory layout than that
used by CentOS4 (RHEL4), "/var/mailman/archives/public" vice
"/var/lib/mailman/archives/public."

The logical links that got tarred from the old host pointed to
"<listname> -> /var/mailman/archives/private/<listname>", which is
a directory structure that does not exist on the new server, hence
the error.  Repairing the logical links to "<listname> ->
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/<listname>" fixed that problem.

The problem with mapping the fqdn host to the mailman alias I
accomplished by adding the following to the mailman.conf file.

# Stolen shamelessly from
# http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
# [NC] No Case matching in regexp

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^inet07\.(.*)\.otherdomain\.tld [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   !^$
RewriteRule ^/(.*)         http://mailman.domain.tld/$1

# Uncomment the following line, replacing www.example.com with your
# server's name, to redirect queries to /mailman to the listinfo
# page (recommended).
# [L,R] Last directive to match, Return without condition code.
# [R=###] is available as an alternative (### = condition code).

RedirectMatch ^/mailman[/]*$
http://mailman.halisp.net/mailman/listinfo [L,R]

Thanks for the help.

Regards,