[Mailman-Users] Transfering mailman lists between servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 29 00:54:41 CEST 2005

James B. Byrne wrote:

>On 28 Mar 2005 at 11:38, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Are the domains different. Were the list visible when you first
>> created them? See
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.
>> htp . You probably need to run fix_url.py. You may also need to
>> rebuild the archives with bin/arch if the "more info" links need
>> to be fixed.
>
>Here is the scenario.  These lists are presently hosted on a server
>that is to be decommissioned.  At that time the host name of that
>server will be transferred to the target machine as a CNAME.  I
>wish to confirm that the lists are reachable from the network on
>the new host before cutting over.  I infer from the instructions
>given above that in order to test this I will have to run:
>
>bin/withlist -l -r fix_url <listname> -u <newhostname.domain.tld>
>
>for each list, test, and when the host name change occurs then redo
>it on the same host with the old name again:
>
>bin/withlist -l -r fix_url <listname> -u <oldhostname.domain.tld>
>
>In a similar fashion the archives need to be reconstructed using
>bin/arch.
>
>Does this describe the situation?

Depending on just how much testing you want to do, you could skip all
of the above. You won't see any lists on the
http://newhostname.domain.tld/mailman/listinfo/ or the
http://newhostname.domain.tld/mailman/admin pages, but you should
still see and be able to administer the lists by going to
http://newhostname.domain.tld/mailman/listinfo/<listname> and
http://newhostname.domain.tld/mailman/admin/<listname> pages and
visiting their archives.

Also, if you set VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off in mm_cfg.py, you should
also see all the public lists on the first two pages. This should be
enough to let you know things are working without actually going
through all the fix_url and bin/arch stuff.