[Mailman-Users] not receiving messages to lists

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 28 17:53:30 CEST 2005

At 3:15 PM -0500 2005-03-27, jfl1 at duke.edu wrote:

>  At the moment I am able to create lists and messages from the list are
>  successfully sent out to list-owner or list members.  What I am unable to
>  do is send messages from a remote account to the list.  I send messages to
>  the list and after some time receive bounces to my remote account
>  indicating that the connection was refused by the address I was attempting
>  to send to.

	Sounds to me like your mail server is not accepting incoming
connections, or there might be a firewall blocking incoming
connections.

>  A few other items...
>  I've checked the MTA logs at /var/log/maillog and am not receiving any
>  information in this file indicating that the messages sent from a remote
>  host ever interacted with my local box running Mailman.

	Yup.  It's either not listening (or at least not listening to the
right address), or it's being blocked somewhere.

	However, debugging this part of the problem is going to be
specific to your OS (and how it handles host-level firewalling), your
network connection device (are you behind some sort of NAT/router
which is effectively firewalling incoming connections), your MTA
(maybe it's not configured to listen to the right address or
addresses), and your service provider (maybe they block all incoming
port 25 connections).

	There's nothing Mailman-specific here.  We're not really likely
to be able to provide you much more help.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755