[Mailman-Users] MTAs

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Mar 26 03:58:29 CET 2005

At 6:21 PM -0800 2005-03-25, John W. Baxter wrote:

>  Unless softupdates "sees" power outages and hustles the data onto disk
>  (which is probably feasible) it would not be considered MTA-suitable (and
>  Exim does what it can to prevent it, using whatever force to disk calls are
>  available to it).

	The problem is that with modern disks not flushing cache data
even when they're told to do so, it's virtually impossible to
guarantee that the data is written before you've lost power.  You're
completely at the mercy of the hardware, and modern caches these days
are easily large enough to hold a large number of small files.

	The typical Linux method of using async mounts fairly frequently
results in filesystem corruption which needs to be corrected with
fsck, and that can take a long time with a large filesystem.  Yes,
journaling can ameliorate that problem to a degree, but you still
need to turn off the async mount if you want as much as they can give
you in terms of "full protection".

	Softupdates makes sure that the filesystem on disk is always in a
consistent state, and while a few files/messages may be lost in a
power outage, the filesystem itself is okay and shouldn't ever need
to fsck.  Given the modern world we live in and the realities we have
to deal with, I think that's a pretty good trade-off.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755