FW: [Mailman-Users] temporary delivery error

Ross Anderson rosander at owbn.org
Sat Mar 26 02:44:18 CET 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Knowles [mailto:brad at stop.mail-abuse.org]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 2:32 PM
To: ross at dsotm.net
Cc: John W. Baxter; Mailman Users; Ross Anderson
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] temporary delivery error

At 1:46 PM -0600 2005-03-25, Ross Anderson wrote:

>  Well the confusion I seem to be having here is cyrus-mailman related

> since it is the program handling local quota's. Cyrus bounces mail
> when  single mail is recieved from local or outside mail accounts.

	What LDA do you have configured for use with Cyrus?

I'm confused here with what you are referring to when you say local
delivery agent. Postfix is the MTP that delivers to cryus-imap via its
own lmtp "local" agent. I have attached the postfix .cf files below.

>                                                                This
> odd behaviour only occurs with mailman which is why I'm a bit puzzled.

> I'd like to get the message bouncing back to mailman right away like
> it does with users that are not locally hosted.

	I think that this is a difference in the way that the LDA is
called, or perhaps using different Cyrus-compatible LDAs.  At the
very least, you need a lot more information about how your MTA is
configured to talk to your LDA, and how your LDA is configured to
handle certain situations.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases,
        hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
biff = no
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
default_privs = mailman
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
local_recipient_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf,
        proxy:hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman,
        $alias_maps
mailbox_transport = cyrus
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maximal_backoff_time = 9000s
minimal_backoff_time = 4000s
mydestination = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf, $mydomain
myhostname = mail.owbn.org mynetworks_style = host myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases owner_request_special = no
proxy_read_maps = proxy:hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
queue_run_delay = 2000s
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.16-r1/readme
recipient_delimiter = +
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.16-r1/sample
sender_canonical_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-canonical.cf
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
        check_client_access hash:/etc/mail/popip,
        reject_unauth_destination,
        reject_rhsbl_client blackhole.securitysage.com,
        reject_rhsbl_sender blackhole.securitysage.com soft_bounce = no
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code = 550 virtual_alias_domains =
/etc/postfix/virtual_domains virtual_alias_maps =
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual.cf,
        proxy:hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
relay_destination_concurrency_limit = 50
relay_destination_recipient_limit = 100

###Master.cf
#
==
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
#
==
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
        -o cleanup_service_name=pre-cleanup
#smtps    inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
#  -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
#submission     inet    n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
#  -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
#628      inet  n       -       n       -       -       qmqpd
pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
        -o cleanup_service_name=pre-cleanup
pre-cleanup  unix n     -       n       -       0       cleanup
    -o virtual_alias_maps=
    -o canonical_maps=
    -o sender_canonical_maps=
    -o recipient_canonical_maps=
    -o masquerade_domains=
qmgr      fifo  n       -       n       300     1       qmgr
#qmgr     fifo  n       -       n       300     1       nqmgr
#tlsmgr   fifo  -       -       n       300     1       tlsmgr
rewrite   unix  -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
proxymap  unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
#       -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
cleanup unix    n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
    -o mime_header_checks=
    -o nested_header_checks=
    -o body_checks=
    -o header_checks=
showq     unix  n       -       n       -       -       showq
error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp

###for amavisd below DONT TOUCH

127.0.0.1:10025 inet n  -       n     -       -  smtpd
    -o content_filter=
    -o local_recipient_maps=
    -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
    -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
    -o relay_recipient_maps=
    -o smtpd_restriction_classes=
    -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
    -o strict_rfc821_envelopes=yes
    -o smtpd_error_sleep_time=0
    -o smtpd_soft_error_limit=1001
    -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000
#smtp-amavis unix - - y - 2 smtp -o smtp_send_xforward_command=yes -o
smtp_data_done_timeout=1200 -o disable_dns_lookups=yes smtp-amavis unix
- - y - 5 lmtp -o lmtp_data_done_timeout=1200 -o
lmtp_send_xforward_command=yes

maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
old-cyrus unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=R user=cyrus argv=/usr/lib/cyrus/deliver -e -m ${extension}
${user}
cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  user=cyrus argv=/usr/lib/cyrus/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m ${extension}
${user}
uucp      unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fqhu user=uucp argv=uux -r -n -z -a$sender - $nexthop!rmail
($recipient)
ifmail    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=F user=ftn argv=/usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail -r $nexthop ($recipient)
bsmtp     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fq. user=foo argv=/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -f $sender $nexthop
$recipient