[Mailman-Users] What am I missing: HTML messages are being stripped?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 24 20:04:05 CET 2005

Ivan Fetch wrote:

>    If I turn off content filtering for the list, HTML messages arrive ok,
>however it seems as though we should be able to have content filtering
>turned on yet HTML messages passing through unharmed with the settings
>indicated above - what am I missing?

The HTML parts that are being removed are one subpart of a
multipart/alternative part. When content filtering is enabled, it
always selects only the first remaining part (after any filtering)
from a multipart/alternative group for delivery to the list.

The fourth paragraph of the description on the Content Filtering page
says:

 After this initial filtering, any multipart  attachments that are empty
 are removed. If the outer message is left empty after this filtering,
 then the whole message is discarded. Then, each multipart/alternative
 section will be replaced by just the first alternative that is non-
 empty after filtering.

The last sentence describes this behavior.

This has been discussed many times on this list. See
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-March/043172.html
for a recent thread or go to
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org+inurl%3Amailman-users+multipart%2Falternative