[Mailman-Users] unknown mailer problems

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Thu Mar 24 07:24:36 CET 2005

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>I'm not saying it won't work. I think it probably will. The one issue I
>think you may have is if you have private archives, they may turn out
>to be accessible to anyone because your web server now runs as group
>mailman which is documented as wrong for this reason.

    Hrm, yes, that would be a problem (I just tested it and it's indeed
visible to everyone, despite the URL difference.)  I'd hate to have to
come up with a login procedure outside of mailman simply because it
won't play well with suexec.  Yes I realize it's mentioned very
specifically that mailman needs for the exec not to be run as the
mailman user, however that will go against suexec's security feature.
So I guess my question now is, what can be done to make this work?  Or
maybe a better question would be, when will mailman reach a point where
it will and can run within a suexec environment?  I like my security and
I like using mailman.

--
H | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6