[Mailman-Users] true virtual hosting with mailman-2.1.5

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 18 06:55:15 CET 2005

Christian Anton wrote:

>i got it installing finally, applying the patch line after line manually
>in editor. It installes everything fine, but now when i want to create a
>list "mailman" i get the following error:
>
>ipx10995 mailman # ./bin/newlist
>Name der Mailingliste: mailman
>e-Mailadresse des Listenverwalters: mail at christiananton.de
>Erstmaliges Passwort für die Liste mailman:
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./bin/newlist", line 219, in ?
>    main()
>  File "./bin/newlist", line 160, in main
>    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
>  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 455, in Create
>    postingaddr = '%s@%s' % (firstname, domain)
>UnboundLocalError: local variable 'firstname' referenced before assignment

The error occurs in a patched line indicating a problem with the patch.
The submitter of the patch has made some recent changes (yesterday). I
suggest you go back to
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=943827&group_id=103&atid=300103
and follow the link in the recent comment to the latest 2.1.4 patch
and use that as a starting point.

>Over the UI i can't create a List either. I have the following in my
>mm_cfg.py:

># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
>
>DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
>SMTPPORT = 10025
>SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 1000
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'gentix.de'
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.gentix.de'
>DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>
>DEFAULT_SERVER_LANGUAGE = 'de'
>IMAGE_LOGOS = '/mailmanicons/'
>
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.citservice.de']
>
>I configured a virtual host http://lists.citservice.de and i can access
>the cgi's of mailman under the URL http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/.
>When I access http://lists.citservice.de/mailman/create and want to
>create a new list 'testlist' i get an error:  Error: Unknown virtual
>host: lists.citservice.de. What am i doing wrong?

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

is not needed in mm_cfg.py because it doesn't change the default from
Defaults.py. However, you need all of the following in mm_cfg.py after
the DEFAULT_URL_HOST line.

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'citservice.de')

assuming that citservice.de is the correct e-mail host to go with
lists.citservice.de. Also, the POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS should be
['citservice.de'] unless the e-mail host really is
'lists.citservice.de' in which case the second add_virtualhost()
should be

add_virtualhost('lists.citservice.de', 'lists.citservice.de')