[Mailman-Users] Re: OSX mailman problem

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 11:13:06 CET 2005

--On March 16, 2005 10:57:08 +0100 Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>
wrote:

> At 9:52 AM +0000 2005-03-16, Ian Eiloart wrote:
>
>>  Really? That would contravene the GNU license, surely? The FAQ says that
>>  they distribute a binary of the compiled parts, but not the source.
>
> 	My understanding is that they have made changes to the code.
>
>>  They've added at least one script "apple_config_list", but that _is_
>>  source code, so it _is_ shared.
>
> 	Where is it shared?  I haven't seen it.

Well, the GNU license says that they have to share the source with the
people that they distribute it to. If it's binary code, that means you have
to distribute the source. If it's python scripts, then the executable code
_is_ the source. I do see additions to the scripts, and the GUI is also an
addition.  I don't see modifications, though.

One thing I can't tell is what version they've distributed. Is there a way
to query the Mailman version from the command line?

Anyway, it would have been good for Apple to submit their changes to
Mailman. I'm just trying to figure out whether they've contravened the GNU
license. If they've changed the source for the compiled parts, then they
may well have.

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team