[Mailman-Users] Posts being dropped for no clear reason

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Mar 15 11:22:21 CET 2005

At 12:20 AM -0500 2005-03-15, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

>  vette is the only log that has any refence to these message IDs.
>  Content filtering is disabled for this list.  Why is this message being
>  discarded?  (In actuality, it's any post from this email address)

	It could be that you've got spam filters defined which result in
the discarding of these messages.  Or, you've got the list set to
auto-discard any posting from anyone who is not a subscriber.  Or,
the address in question could be on the "black list" of addresses
which should be auto-discarded.

	There are a whole variety of reasons why this might happen.
Without more details from you, it's hard to say exactly why you're
seeing this behaviour.  As a wild guess, try going to your "Privacy
options..." page and look at the "Sender filters" sub-page from
there.  See if the address in question is in one of the fields
defined.

>  Also, what exactly is the vette logfile storing?  I don't understand
>  what this logfile represents - everything else has a pretty clear name.

	It's basically all the stuff that's considered questionable in
any way, and is either being held for further inspection by a list
moderator, discarded due to unacceptable content, etc....  See
meaning #2 at <http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=vetter>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755