[Mailman-Users] installing..PLEASE help

Tamara Yoggev tyoggev at 013.net
Mon Mar 14 20:50:14 CET 2005

Thanks for your reply,

Your right I should deal with problem number 1 first, which is creating the
sendmail.cf file. I'm trying to create this file by using the instructions
in the mm-handler-README from the /mailman../contrib folder. Here are the
instructions,  and what I've
done with them:

--
1. Copy mailman.mc, and make any changes you need at your site. You
    DEFINITELY need some changes. There are hostnames in there that you

I copied the mailman.mc file to /etc/mail
I changed the OS (linux-gnu), and the paths to
procmail. The mail definitions look like this:

MAILER_DEFINITIONS
####################################
###   New Mailer specifications  ###
####################################

## Special flags! See
##      http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.10/op-sh-5.html#sh-5.4
## Note especially the absence of the "m" and "n" flags. THIS IS
## IMPORTANT: mm-handler assumes this behavior to avoid having to know
## too much about address parsing and other RFC-2822 mail details.

Mmailman, P=/etc/mail/mm-handler, F=rDFMhlqSu, U=aishlist:root,

S=EnvFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,

A=mm-handler $h $u

 aishlist is the group sendmail uses.

--
2. Install mm-handler. Because my server's sendmail-related files live
    in /etc/mail, I keep mm-handler there, too. YMMV.

I copied mm-handler to the same dir all my other mail
files are located: /etc/mail.

--
3. Edit mm-handler, and make any changes you need at your site. You
    probably want to change $MMWRAPPER and $MMLISTDIR at line 14, and you

I changed the following:

 The $MMWRAPPER path is where my mailman files are located  which is
$MMWRAPPER = /home/aishlist/mailman/mail/mailman"; and the
next line to $MMLISTDIR = /home/aishlist/mailman/lists";

That's about all the changed I made to that file.
--
4. You should set up a virtusertable. (See mailman.mc for an
    explanation.) There's an example of a good, minimal virtusertable

The virtusertable has only one entry for my mailman domain, which is:
@aishlist.com                          mailman-owner at aishlist.com
(My site is www.aishlist.com), (Remake the map file? when I run m4 doesn't
it do that?)

--
5. You absolutely must have a mailertable, or all of this goes nowhere.
    Like virtusertable, the mailertable is a map that begins as text and

         listtest.uchicago.edu   mailman:listtest.uchicago.edu

    This says: assign all incoming mail (that was not intercepted by the
    virtusertable) and that is in the listtest.uchicago.edu domain to the
    "mailman" mailer, and tell the "mailman" mailer that the hostname
    we're using is "listtest.uchicago.edu". You can support multiple
    virtual hosts using mm-handler just by placing corresponding lines in
    mailertable.

    Be sure to make this map, too!
--
My mailertable file is very simple:

aishlist.com           mailman:aishlist.com

As the directions say, I want mailman to handle ALL requests made to
aishlist.com.

And yes, I 'made' the files to convert mc to cf, etc..

--
6. The mailer definition (see the end of mailman.mc, or your own .mc
    file) for mm-handler sets the user/group that mm-handler will run

Did this as you can see from my config file above. It's
aishlist:root.

--
7. Generate your new sendmail.cf file. See the sendmail documentation if
    you're not familiar with this procedure. [1]

ran m4, which redid my sendmail.cf
--
8. Stop sendmail on your list server, if you haven't already. Install
    the new sendmail.cf file wherever your sendmail.cf file belongs.

I stopped sendmail as I always do by giving the command "make stop", in
which it replies:

Then restarted(make start).this is what I get again: (for some reason it
outputs 'ATURE instead of FEATURE when really
what's written in the mailman.mc file is FEATURE)

[root at localhost mail]# make start
service sendmail start
Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 7: fil
en 'ATURE(local_procmail)': No such file or directory
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 8: MAILER(local): A= argu
451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 19: fileclass: cannot ope
ble,': No such file or directory
451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 21: fileclass: cannot ope
table,': No such file or directory
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 23: invalid argument to V
OMAIN(aishl"
451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 28: fileclass: cannot ope
masquerade)': No such file or directory
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 29: MASQUERADE_AS(aishlis
nt required
451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 32: fileclass: cannot ope
b)': No such file or directory
451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 35: fileclass: cannot ope
t_recipients)': No such file or directory
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 38: MAILER(smtp): A= argu
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 39: MAILER(procmail): A=
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 42: MAILER_DEFINITIONS: A
ed
554 5.0.0 No local mailer defined
554 5.0.0 QueueDirectory (Q) option must be set
                                                           [FAI
Starting sm-client:                                        [  O
[root at localhost mail]#

All files are already at /etc/mail so there is no need to 'install new
sendmail.cf file'.

Appriciate any further help...