[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman for High Volume Subscription Mailings... and High Availability

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Tue Mar 15 06:05:15 CET 2005

Brad Knowles wrote:

> [ ... ]

>     In terms of doing high-availability, I think most people have been
> splitting the front-end web service from the back-end list processing,
> as well as splitting the MTA services onto separate machines.
>
>     If you need the back-end Mailman-only stuff to also be highly
> available, you should be able to mostly do that with NFS, but this may
> run into some problems, and will certainly cost you in terms of
> performance.
> [ ... ]

>     I don't think anyone anywhere has publicly talked about doing both
> high-volume and high-availability, at least not with Mailman.

I gather this, from all the searching I've done.    I've not really
found any useful information about scaling and
high-availabilty/redundancy in the FAQ or anywhere else.

The HA solution will very likely be solved with a stable
database/backend hook where we can store/retrieve Mailman's information
-- standard scalablity on that side will be relatively straightforward.

I've not looked into the MyslqMembership hack yet.   Has anyone used this?

Thanks,
Forrest