[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman for High Volume Subscription Mailings... and High Availability

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Mon Mar 14 19:09:02 CET 2005

The organization I work for has a membership (list) base of in excess of
90,000 users.   In the past, we've outsourced our mailings (not spam!
but legitimate newsletter mailings that our users sign up for) to
external companies that have sophisticated bounce handling, etc. etc.

I have been asked if we could bring this task in-house.

I wonder what resources (and perhaps fine-tuning) would be required to
get Mailman to accomodate these sorts of large tasks.

Earlier, I posted a question about High Availability and received only
one response (thank you, though).  There has to be a way to scale
Mailman into a large infrastructure (?).   Given that Mailman is, in of
itself, an API, there must be some way to hook into the MTA (Postfix, in
our case).

I'd appreciate information from someone who has implemented something
this significant.

The outsourced company we used in the past had sophisticated queue
monitoring tools (php-based) as well as queue management (Postfix used
as the MTA).

Thanks in advance....