[Mailman-Users] Weird Issues using Mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 11 23:54:32 CET 2005

Kyle McMartin wrote:

>I'm administrating a few lists with large numbers of subscribers (>700),

This is not a particularly large number for Mailman.

>and for some reason, have been seeing weird behaviour from mailman.
>
>We're using Debian testing, Mailman 2.1.5, and Postfix 2.1.5.
>
>When attempting to send a message to one of these lists, I get crap
>in the smtp-failure logs:
>
>Mar 09 03:48:22 2005 (32326) delivery to <xxx>@engsoc.org failed with code -1: Server not connected
>
>The message seems to get through to about 20 of the recipients, before
>it barfs like this.
>
>Searching around for this message, I found the suggestion of using
>MTA='Postfix'

This only affects how aliases are handled for newly created and deleted
lists.

>and explicitly setting the mail server address in
>/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py.

This probably only affects whether it works at all for even one
messaage.

>Unfortunately, this does not seem to help and
>the messages persist.
>
>I've tried explicitly setting SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION on a hunch
>but unfortunately that did not help either. :(

It appears that the MTA (your Postfix) is disconnecting you after a
certain number of recipients or transactions or ?

Did you try setting SMTP_MAX_SESSIONS_PER_CONNECTION to 1? Did you try
setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS to some small number?

Have you tried searching the FAQ for 'performance', 'tuning' or
'postfix'?