[Mailman-Users] Missing config.db and config.db.last files

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 11 20:48:33 CET 2005

aaron wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Somehow, many of our few hundred Mailman lists are missing their config.db
>and config.db.last files.

In general, this should not be a problem. As of Mailman 2.1.x, the
config.db files were replaced by config.pck files. As long as you have
config.pck files, you don't need and shouldn't have config.db files.

>Email traffic still seems to be working on the lists (as there is no content
>in the archives), but both the /mailman/admin and /mailman/listinfo URLs are
>producing the error show below. I searched the archives for this list to
>find something relevant, but was unsuccessful.
>
>The error output below shows our environment specs. We have applied the
>Mailman 2.1.5 security patch.
>
>We're completely confused - help!?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Aaron
>
>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.5
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
>this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
>happened. Thanks!
>Traceback:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>    main()
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 67, in main
>    admin_overview()
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 234, in
>admin_overview
>    mlist = MailList.MailList(name, lock=0)
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 128, in __init__
>    self.Load()
>  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 608, in Load
>    raise Errors.MMCorruptListDatabaseError, e
>MMCorruptListDatabaseError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
>'/usr/local/mailman/lists/listname/config.db.last'

We are attempting to instantiate the list and we try to load the
config.pck file for the list. If it is corrupt or non existent, we try
config.pck.last and then config.db and config.db.last. If none can be
loaded, we issue the error which names the last name we tried.

The problem is that the config.pck and config.pck.last files for this
list are corrupt. The naming of config.db.last is a red herring.